Below is a profile of what I’d count a dream opportunity (not all details are essential)
Suitable Candidate Seeks Dream Job:
Description of Employment: The position will be a full time (or part-time affordable) academic appointment in a university or theological seminary setting in the US, Canada, or Europe (and yes, I count the UK). Position must include a living wage with health care coverage in addition to some mutually agreeable measure of the following components:
- Opportunities to mentor students interested in: late antiquity, material culture in the history of faith-based responses to poverty, hunger, disease, and/or social justice, place and substance in the history of medicine; global health, the history of religion (with a focus on the Christian tradition), and ideas for connecting these interests across practical community “ministry” today;
- Opportunity for administrative/program leadership in a setting characterized by an organized, proactive vision and measurably effective good in the world;
- Administrative/program leadership may include responsibilities mentoring or engaging with others (students and/or junior scholars) to review and edit (others’) book-length or otherwise publishable projects – preferably projects that ordinary people can read and understand;
- Demonstrated respect for both innovative and traditional research and writing, evidenced by ensured funding for research time, travel, participation in academic fora, and dedicated writing time;
- Teaching load: maximum 2 courses per year; may be distributed as one per semester or combined into a single semester; allowing time to retain a personal rhythm of solitude, writing, and fundamental humanity;
- Locational stability; my goal is to invest a decade in nurturing student cohorts while based in a fixed geography;
- Ready access to and engagement in a diversity of faith communities, including monastic communities;
- Multidisciplinary colleagues who are humble, joyous, welcoming, serious scholars, sensible, nice, and wise people, who share a global perspective on building shared communities and practical proactive vision for good.
- Climate near or within an urban setting with easy access to good hiking and sea birds strongly preferred.